I am from coffee cup reading fortune tellers, belly dancers, from Vogue and National Geographic.
I am from the land of the holiest and the devout, the land of perpetual turmoil, political unrest and eternal dysfunction.
I am from the darkest, bitter sediment, the Turkish coffee grind that lingers on the pallet.
I am from homemade ‘everything’, a long line of strong will and loyalty, from Janette, Sayid and Zarik.
I am from endless strength and limitless ‘spun’ energy.
From ... ‘here’s Johnny!’ upon arrival at any destination to ‘...no money, no funny’ and ‘...even if I am not watching you, know that God is’.
I am from deep catholic roots with a contradictive penchant for Rock n Roll, Heavy Metal, Alternative and Grunge.
I was born in Canada and my Palestinian heritage is worn on my sleeve as is my heart. I am from falafel to humus and everything Arab in between.
From my Mother singing in her thick Arab accent during the Christmas holiday season while cooking “...Chreeesmas is coming the goose (is) getting fat, please put a penny in the old man (’s) hat. If you have (n’t) not got a penny a ha'penny will do, if you have (n’t) not got a ha'penny, God (b) pless you!” Questioning all along ...what the hell is a ‘ha'penny’ anyway? From me singing at 4 years of age Rod Stewarts `Do you think I`m sexy?’
I am from churches, mosques and temples and exotic rugged terrain from the garden of Gethsemane to Mount Sinai. I am from housing goats and donkeys as pets from picking fresh pomegranates and prickly pears for breakfast, all the while watching the sunrise in all its glory.
From the silver screen, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Humphrey Bogart, Carey Grant, Gene Kelly, Rock Hudson, Marilyn Dietrich, Jean Harlow, James Stewart, Betty Davis, Doris Day and all the rest of the great silver screen legends. From John Lennon and his lengthy prolific legacy of inspirational words – if we could just ‘imagine’.
FYI: ha’penny - Halfpenny (British pre-decimal coin)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Me too.
ReplyDelete